Wednesday 5 October 2011

Black & White Printing Process

After having our introduction to the darkroom and materials etc, we printed our negatives out onto a contact sheet;



After setting up our sections, i.e fixing our lens, putting our chosen negative into the view-finder and created our border sizes etc, we then focused our image and started creating tests on sections of photographic paper to make final choices for our A4 prints.

I first done a test of a light exposure scale of 5 seconds. (5, 10, 15, 20, 25)
I used an opened lens on a G2 scale;


This then tested this scale of 5 seconds again but used f8 and G5;


After choosing the tone I wanted to work with I then then made a test shot of this;

I now started to look at contrast, density and tone. I made varied choices and tests to see the results before making a final decision...

I used G0 and G2 on this for ten seconds each;


I decided I wanted the background darker, more tone in the squares and less exposure in the highlights on the bottom right of the image and object. I now tested the same G. scales but with different times.


I made an A4 print of this to show the image before making further alterations..


I now started to make slight changes..


First try; G0 and G2 for 10secs, then G5 for 10secs..




Second try; G0 for 20secs. G2 for 5secs then G5 for 10secs...



Third try; G0 for 15secs, G2 for 5secs and G5 for 10secs...



I was really happy with this third result so printed this on A4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment