Monday 17 October 2011

Ideas;

Our task was to construct a photograph based upon a current social issue.
I started thinking about many issues but also considered how I would portray these issues as a still life and what objects I could use.
The main issue that stood out for me is the Army and British soldiers being out in Afghanistan.
It is a subject close to my heart and an issue I feel quite strongly about. I felt this fitted best to my brief and as I have strong feelings and knowledge of this subject, I was hoping this would stand out in my photograph.

At first I wasn't quite sure as to what specific point of view I wanted to portray.
So, I started to research photography within the Army.
I went onto; http://www.army.mod.uk/news/press-office/7728.aspx and had a look at what Army photographers take pictures of themselves to see what they portray.

From this site, three photographs really stood out to me and started pushing me into a specific direction as to what I wanted to express through my brief.

The 1st image;

I felt that this was a very conventional photograph to portray the Army in what they do and are initially trained for. This image imitates destruction and war and shows what soldiers do for a living.
The main focus point of this image for me are the soldiers themselves, alongside the dust and smoke in the air. The surrounding area is really quite grey with the odd section that has a lot of contrast. The area in which these soldiers are, is not very clear. You can see however that they are crouching behind what looks like part of an old wall. The odd weeds on the ground give the idea that this is a waste land or deserted area.



The first thoughts that came to mind to do with the Army and soldiers, is that they go and fight for their country, with obviously, the risk of dying, in honour of their country.
Second thoughts, in relation to the Army & Soldiers, is the considerable amount of pride that they have with their job.
Also thridly, the harsh training and regulations that come with this duty. - For instance, when I thought about soldiers and their pride, I thought of crisp, clean uniform, shiny boots and nothing out of place. I then thought of their objects that are perfectly lined in order ready for inspection.

I didn't want to portray the general pride of the Army for my task as I felt that it was too broad and not personal enough.



This 2nd image really caught my attention;

I feel that this photograph is a really strong and emotional image. Even though it represents the 'down-time' these soldiers are having, (which is where the soldiers have a rest) the expression on this soldier's face tells something different. This soldier in the foreground is the main focus point to this image and shows what all of the soldiers must be experiencing. Even though this soldier is meant to be relaxing, the stern concentration and motivation in his eyes reveal that there is no relaxing time in his situation. They have to be alert 24/7. The blank expression could be the realisation of being in a life and death situation. The idea of clearing your mind and being 100 percent focused on the situation, whilst trying to push fear out of your mind.
The slight glisten to his skin, which is most probably sweat, shows the strenuous, physical tasks they have to go through.



3rd image;

This photograph stood out to me because of the smokey background and not being able to see though it. This made me think of the idea that soldiers do not necessarily know the full extent to what they are going into. For example; when you go on holiday, you know more a less what to expect, but you do not know the full extent until you are actually there. - The same with soldiers being sent to fight a war.
This smokey background also represents the idea of destruction. (Just like the first image above). The portrayal of the vehicles and the other soldiers on the right shows movement and working as a team.
The soldier in the centre of this image is facing away, whilst the other two are facing towards the front, looking out for their man. 
I like the way this image makes you feel as if you are right there behind them amongst the action.


I want to express emotions and ideas around the concept of being sent out to war not fully aware of the circumstances and the possible outcomes.

I am very proud of our Army and the soldiers but feel strongly that the British soldiers should not be out in Afghanistan fighting a war.
I also feel that new recruits should not be sent out to fight so young. They need at least a few years training to not only physically prepare, but emotionally and mentally prepare for the full effects of war.
Soldiers today, (the same as years ago) can be and have been mentally scarred from the negotiation of war.

Personally, I feel that our soldiers were thrown out into Afghanistan like pieces of meat. - Which links to one of my 'object' ideas. For one of my studio set ups, I would like to photograph a bit of meat that looks as if it could be flesh. This would represent my personal opinion and also a possible outcome of fighting in war. - Many soldiers have lost limbs and even more unfortunately have lost not just a limb, but their lives.

This idea of literally using meat came from researching Owen Silverwood. I felt it was a really dramatic way of expressing an opinion and fitted in with mine perfectly.
I would have a dark background instead of white like Owen Silverwood, with perhaps a soft spotlight on the meat and objects.

Another idea I had was to portray some medals soldiers are/have been rewarded and the emotion and meaning that comes with this.
To do this, I thought about simply photographing medals with the badges they wear or have worn, alongside perhaps a candle and a British flag. I feel that a candle would represent one of many things, such as 'peace' if the candle is white and perhaps praying or 'faith' if it's lit. A lit candle may also give a spotlight kind of effect on the objects. - This would draw the viewers attention directly to the objects.
The viewer would not necessarily know whether the soldier was dead or alive and would have to think about what these objects mean and represent.
I feel that we should think about our soldiers more often and really appreciate what they go through and do for us and our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment