Sunday 25 March 2012

Shoot 3 & 4 incl. Prints

With this shoot, I wanted to broaden the Mannequin idea I started in the first shoot. 
Although I enjoyed dressing my model up in rubbish whilst remaining 'fashionable', I thought I may get carried away with the fun side to it. I felt that the mannequin idea had much more depth and meaning behind it.

With these shoots, I wanted to show just how much waste the Fashion Industry produces.
The fashion industry purposely designs clothes to last a certain period of time, before being discarded of and a new collection brought in.
The clothes are designed and produced in 'seasons' every year, and us as consumers keep buying and discarding of 'fashion', producing just as much waste as the industry. - We are like the industry's mannequins.

1.2 million tons of clothing went to landfill in 2005 in the UK alone. (DEFRA 2007) 
- http://www.ethicalfashionforum.com/the-issues/energy-and-waste



It is estimated that more than 1 million tonnes of textiles are thrown away every year. (www.wasteonline.org.uk)
Most of the waste produced in the UK ends up in landfill sites, which poses a threat to local ground water supplies. Every time it rains, water drains through all the rubbish and picks up chemical and hazardous materials. This includes chemicals used in clothing and textiles such as dyes and bleaches. 
http://www.ethicalfashionforum.com/the-issues/energy-and-waste
Majority of textile waste comes from household sources. Average lifetime of any clothing is deemed to be for about 3 years, after which, they are thrown away as old clothes. Sometimes even 'not so worn garments' are also discarded as they become unfashionable, or undesirable.

http://www.textilesindepth.com/index.php?page=facts-textile-waste



I personally really like the trolley images. I feel that they are stronger than my other images and really give across my idea - That we, as consumers act like the Fashion Industry's mannequins.
Just like the clothes, get used and thrown away once they've had their time.

My chosen Finals;


I spent a lot of time trying to print these images. I wanted them to be dark but not dull, whilst trying to not lose the mannequin within the image. I wanted her to stand out and grab attention.




I think these are the strongest images from my contact sheets, but due to being all from the same shoot, i think they might look stronger with two different images perhaps inbetween them. This would break them up a bit and add more variety, probably making them come across stronger and more in depth.

If I was to pick two images to go with these, I would pick my next two favourite and strongest images;

 I like this image because even though she comes across like a lifeless doll, she has a helpless sense to her. The way her arm is twisted out makes her look literally thrown out and broken.

I like this image because it looks like she has also been thrown down without a care. The way the bin is toppled over with the bags spilling out adds to this.
If i was to use this image i would re-print it. I would make it darker and adjust the magenta and yellow. This would able me to match her skin tone to the other images.

No comments:

Post a Comment