Sunday 25 March 2012

Appraisel

With my final images, I decided to express the theme of ‘waste’ through Fashion. 
To do this, I looked into how much waste the fashion industry itself produces. - Fashion designers seem to make clothes today to last for a short period of time. New lines of clothing are produced regularly. – Mainly known as the ‘spring/summer’ and ‘autumn/winter’ collections, as well as mid-collections often in between. 
These clothes are what’s seen to be ‘fashion’ and are therefore desired and wanted. Anything made and published before this, i.e. the year before, are considered ‘old’ and ‘out’ of fashion, which makes them unwanted and discarded of. With this, the fashion industry produces more than one million tonnes of textile waste every year. This is without even considering our own garment waste by following this fashion system. – Us as consumers, play to their system and keep buying and discarding of just as many clothes. 
I feel that, we, as consumers, act like the fashion industry’s mannequin, which, just like the clothes, has a use by date. 
For this, I portrayed my model as a mannequin doll thrown out into the rubbish. - I drew lines on my models skin to show the joints of a doll, enabling movement, with old shopping bags surrounding her within a dark, dingy, lonely alleyway. I used doll-like make up, to give her a little identity and connect to us as consumers, playing to the industry’s throw away system. – Half human, half doll. 
To emphasize this, I made my model give a blank expression and lifeless eyes. 
A lot of my inspiration came from photographers such as; David LaChapelle
Due to the way he incorporates models and fashion poses with literal waste. The models somehow look as if they're meant to be in that location. Or, on the contrary, they are dolls which have simply been abandoned and forgotten.

 Tim walker
With the way he literally turns his models into dolls. This is very dramatic, but I like the mechanical poses and the lifeless, non-human look.

 and Tom Hunter.
With this sense of abandonment and sense of uselessness, whilst remaining in an environment we all recognize.

My photos;



Prints;




(Re-Print)


 I printed my images a little dark due to the theme and setting of my photographs. 
I personally, am really pleased with my images and I feel they represent my idea well.
I think these photos would work well in a newspaper,  as they are reflecting on the waste problem issues of fashion, not the glamour side to fashion, like magazines do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment