Tuesday 14 February 2012

Research; Fashion & Waste


Due to wanting to do a Fashion based image for this project, I looked at what the fashion industry does/has done in relation to recycling.
Recycling plays an important and vital role in trying to reduce the waste dumping ground areas.


This is a recycled wardrobe collection by RJ Dollen;

These dresses were made from newspapers;

 This dress was made from old, computer, ribbon wire and worn on a catwalk for a 'Recycling' theme;


Due to having only six weeks for this project, I didn't want to spend most of my time making an outfit. 
I wanted to concentrate on the photographic side more than the costume design.

I started to look at how I could incorporate this theme of 'waste' into the costume design, rather than designing an entire outfit from waste.
I looked at the famous icon, Lady GaGa. Her costume designs are completely bizarre and look as if they could be incorporated with this idea of recycling.

This 3D effect design could be made from old cardboard and painted...

 One of Lady GaGa's more avant-garde outfits..

Many outfits and accessories of hers, look as if it could be made out of recycling.

I liked this idea of waste being re-used and recreated into something beautiful/useful.
I wanted to try and incorporate this into my own work.
For example, this outfit below could be made from bin liners.

A saying that I was always told when I was younger, when giving my old clothes and non-demolished toys to charity was;
"Someone's rubbish is someone else's treasure"


No comments:

Post a Comment