Wednesday 29 February 2012

My Shoots

From combining all of my ideas, I started to shoot my idea of 'Fashion & Waste'.


With this, I was aiming to show the fact that the fashion industry throws so much produce away to provide new season collections.
As consumers, we continue to buy more and throw away the 'old' seasons nearly as regular as the industry.
I showed my model as a mannequin, to emphasise the fact that this waste is related to fashion (also shown by the high street and designer bags thrown away) and to give this idea that us as consumers, who persistently keep buying the new collections, in order to be 'fashionable', are almost like dolls, or even robots, engineered to the mechanics of the Fashion world.


With the images on the right, I was reflecting on the idea of  literally 'throwing away'.
I purposely put my model in the 'blue/recycling' bin as we should be recycling much more than we do.
These 'no good', or 'old' items can easily be reused/remade.

The photos on the left, now go onto show that these old, unwanted items, or 'junk' can be someone elses 'treasure'. - Reinvented and loved.
I placed my model near a boat on the beach, as i thought it would link to this idea and saying of 'treasure'.
By the tide being out, the boat looks abandoned and no longer in use. - Linking to the unwanted clothes.
With the outfit, I still wanted it to be quite fashionable. Therefore the model is posed and dressed in normal clothes aswell as literal waste.


Whilst walking around Medway, especially on this area, 'The Strand' at Gillingham, there was a lot of discarded items and rubbish. Just laying there, spoiling the environment.
I linked this in with my focused saying, and used it within my shoot.
I used coke cans as rollers in my models hair and made an underskirt, which puffed up the top skirt, to give a dramatic look, using bin liners. - Both linking to my 'Junk to Funk' research.
I wanted my model to come across as a 'Waste Fashionista'. Revealing that items do not necessarily have to be new or cost money to be fashionable. - Like using a long bit of rope as a belt, which also linked to the boat and beach like scene.
I made my model wear sunglasses as, not only did the RayBan style go with the edgy look, I didn't want my models eyes to take any attention away from the waste outfit and environment.
I feel that a models eyes express a lot of emotion and narrative, and are a strong focus point within an image. - I didn't want this and felt it would link to my idea of doll-like features, if you could not see the eyes or expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment