Thursday 12 January 2012

Presentation

Still Life

For this project, the still life had to have a meaning behind. 
For me, I work best when a project reflects something personal or reflects a great interest of mine.
With this, I was reflecting my own personal opinion that I don't agree with the British soldiers being out in Afghanistan. In particular, my opinion is that in the beginning, the soldiers were thrown out there not as prepared as they should have been. - like bits of meat.
For this reason, I literally used meat within my image. I still used the medals, as I personally am very proud of our soldiers and no matter what the conditions are, they're proud of their job too. As they should be.

For this, I looked at Owen Silverwood;

 & I also looked at the Army's own website, where I analysed war images taken by photographers who are in the Army themselves;


This image was my first final print, and original plan to show this message
I felt that this image had too much going on and was too complicated for the message and opinion I wanted to get across.

Instead, I chose this image as my final piece.
I felt that this image revealed my opinion a lot better.
I felt that the bandages on the meat reflected the soldiers fighting and being injured. - By placing this meat on the flag, shows that they are British soldiers.
The main part that I love is the 'Quality Assured' stamp on the flesh. - I chose not to use the medals to show  'pride' as I felt it would be too obvious.


Environment

For this project, I looked at different areas and the goings-on within particular towns.
A once popular town, that I spent a lot of days out at the beach as a child, was Margate.
I compared the memories to the present situation of Margate town, and I wanted to document the drastic change. It is a huge contrast to the popular, busy, lively town it once was.

For this I looked at the work of Simon Norfolk;


My Images;





Body

For this project I chose to focus on the female body and the changes it goes through. 
I chose to concentrate on this idea of pregnancy, as when my best friend had a child I was with her every week up to the birth and there after. I saw and experienced the effects that the females go through and I think it is a beautiful, natural process that should be admired and celebrated.

I wanted to show how beautiful and natural this process is, but still enabling this female to reflect her own personality. The 'bump' is the most obvious thing and the changes take over the body, so I wanted to show the 'blooming' beauty of the female not just her tummy.

This shoot was inspired by various artists I looked at, but the main one was Fred Aufray;


& the famous Demi Moore magazine cover, which at the time, shocked and appalled its audience;




My Final Image
At close inspection, this image looks a bit soft and does not have crystal clear focus. - However I like this fact, as I think it reflects the delicacy of a woman and this process.

City

With this project, the first thought was 'London'. I then started thinking about London and what things first come to mind. - Such as; the red buses, the crowds, the smartly dressed people... etc.

I then started thinking about the poorer, run down areas that we don't necessarily see or think of, when we go to, or think of London.

With these photos, I found a run-down estate, that was due to be demolished early this year. Hardly anyone was still living there, as most had already moved out but some people were.
Only a ten minute drive away, was Canary Wharf. - A huge contrast to this estate. 
It goes to show the conditions and the different lifestyles some people live.

My main inspiration for this shoot was Rut Blees Luxemburg;


My Images




No comments:

Post a Comment